Friday, December 18, 2009

CAMINO E STUDIO DEGLI UCELLI

Recently, my power adaptor decided to die on me and all attempts to resuscitate failed.  Alas, I was forced to purchase a new one.  It just arrived but now my battery won't charge.  I think my poor computer was a bit shell shocked during school after only being used for email and occasional photoshop diddle dawdle.  That being said, I'm glad it starts and it's good to be back on my computer.

I'm super excited about two things coming up!

I am going birding again tomorrow!  Yippee!  This time in Marin.  This is a more unique experience than the last time I went in that we will be watching shorebirds from kayaks.  We will leave predawn towards the mudflats the Miller Boat ramp at the Walker creek Delta and see as much of the early morning shorebird, duck and gull action as possible. We will also try for Black Rail in the remote pickle weed expanses while its dark and stay out there until lunch counting shorebirds and sparrows. Although the water will be very flat and calm, I'm glad I had a chance to go both sea kayaking and flat lake kayaking beforehand. The leader of this adventure is Josiah Clark, founder of Habitat Potential.  In a nutshell, Habitat Potential offers environmental consulting services and naturalist expertise.  Super excited to meet him.  I'm also excited because this gave me a good excuse to get waterproof pants.  I think all girls desire a pair of stylish waterproof pants in their wardrobe, don't you think?  I'll have my new moleskin sketchbook in hand, binoculars around my neck and legs shielded from dangerous waters of the mudflats.  And of course, the Sibley Guide to Birds in my pocket.  Well, maybe not in my pockets.  It's a bit too big for that unless I get pants with Mary Poppin's storage ability.  


I went to a book signing of his with my roommate, Kristin, in Santa Cruz a few months ago.  It was to launch his new Field Guide of Trees.  All the copies were sold out when I got there.  Oh well.  I'm glad I went.  Other than the few annoying overly enthusiastic Californians bombarding him with continual questions of invasive species, it was nice to hear a bit about his process.  Here is also another fun video clip of him teaching a class of school kids how he draws a bird.


The other thing that I'm really looking forward to is celebrating the birthday of one of my closet friends, Hannah.  She is the proud owner of Pie Bird Press and an amazing person all around.  Normally, we celebrate each other's birthdays at LuLu in San Francisco.  This restaurant showcases a menu of delicious provencal style cuisine from their wood-fired oven, rotisserie and grill.  It is always a favorite spot.  BUT...this year, we will be celebrating at a relatively new restaurant in Oakland called Camino.  Camino is italian for fireplace, so the wood-fired oven theme remains the same.  It is a wonderful restaurant with a rustic atmosphere, great service and of course, amazing food.  I always loved this place, but recently, Hannah forwarded this interview with the owners of Camino and I am now even more in love with it.


Seriously awesome.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment