Thursday, October 15, 2009

DIP INKED 4 TIMES

MAGNOLIA CARPEL  and AGGREGATE OF FOLLICLES- CLICK TO ENLARGE

So I am just loving being introduced to tools I have never used before.  Proportional dividers, calipers, gridded plexi, eye patches, and now croquill pens!  Today, we had a great demo on Dissecting Microscopes, but I digress.  Croquills are basically dip ink pens with nibs that come in different sizes and shapes.  This exercise was done with Hunt nibs 102 and 104.  The assignment was to draw the same specimen four times in line, parallel lines, cross-hatching, and stipple.  In doing this exercise it became very obvious which technique worked for the specimen and which didn't do anything for it at all.  I found that given the structural nature of magnolia carpel, parallel lines worked best.

I am very attached to these magnolia specimens.  I found them walking to work in 2003 when I first moved to the Bay Area.  This started my collection of natural specimen, and speaking of my specimen collection, here are some pics of things I've collected since then.






I took the above picture a few days ago with the intention of putting it up on my blog as "Things I'm Currently Drawing."  It never made it up in time so now I'm only drawing the starfish and skull.  I've obviously finished the drawing of magnolia carpels.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment