Wednesday, March 31, 2010

FELLOWSHIPS and INTERNSHIPS

Part of our program is to complete 10-12 weeks of internship experience. It is an incredible opportunity to make contacts and build a network in the professional world of science illustration. The minimum requirement is 10-12 weeks, but you can obviously extend that depending on the internship. I am sooooo excited to learn that I got all three internships that I was after.

For this summer, I was awarded the Visualization Fellowship at Yosemite National Park. It will be a 3 month internship during which I will work on signage for the park, illustrations for scientific research, an open project of my own interpretation of science visualization, along with many other projects.

This fall, I am heading to Panama where the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute is stationed. I have 3 major projects. One will be working with Juan Mate, director of Coiba National Park. This project focuses on "popular" versions of the Coiba Management Plan including brochures and pamphlets as well as illustrating information on the public-use areas and park attractions. Another is with Dr. Ross Robertson, a marine biologist focusing on fishes of the Tropical Eastern Pacific and fishes of the Caribbean Sea. He is constructing an online data base and I will provide him with relevant illustrations. The last project is with Dr. Alexandra Hiller. She is currently researching Porcellanidae crabs. I will be optimizing already existing illustrations of Porcellanidae crabs for a new computer program called CAT (Computer Assisted Taxonamy).

In the winter, I go to Cornell University where I will work at the Lab of Ornithology. I'm not sure what my project will be, but I love that I will be illustrating birds.

So needless to say, I am absolutely thrilled about the rest of the year!!! Of course, my blog will be updated with pictures and stories about each of these experiences.

Yippee!

2 comments:

  1. jane-you are such an amazing talent. you deserve all these wonderful opportunities coming your way! so excited to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, yay, yay!!!!!!! i knew you would get all of them, and i know many more amazing assignments are in your future.

    ReplyDelete