Thursday, January 28, 2010

Meleagris gallopavos and COLOR PENCILS


GRAPHITE and COLOR PENCIL

COLOR PENCIL on WHITE PAPER

COLOR PENCIL on TONED PAPER

I had a little turkey obsession with my last assignments after a little run in with the on the side of the road on my way home from school. They were just hanging out on the sidewalk and street like they didn't have a care in the world. I mean, they probably didn't but they sure seemed to revel in making that unavoidably noticeable to someone rushing home to get homework done before sunrise. However, I DO think that they are gorgeous birds and it was fun to use them as subjects in our last two color pencil assignments. I bought a turkey egg from the Bone Room in Albany a little while ago and was happy to finally draw it. I wish I could say that I plucked the turkey feather from the birds I encountered, but alas, it was borrowed from my roommate, Danza, who has a small collection of turkey feathers.

Below are some pictures I took of the turkeys. Was so glad I had my camera that day. Seeing them pretty much made my day. To some, seeing turkeys cross the road may not seem like a big deal. Maybe it happens all the time to them, but to someone whose most intimate encounter with turkeys prior to that was eating a turkey club sandwich at a TGIF of suburban Chicago where I grew up, that encounter was pretty exciting.   





No comments:

Post a Comment